clicksor

Sunday, January 19, 2014

200 Words: Poems With Dad

By Mona Sabalones Gonzalez

When I was a little girl, every night Dad liked to sit on the balcony of our home in Greenhills on his lounge chair, and I usually sat beside him on a stool. At that time, he knew that I was writing poetry and my teachers thought I wrote rather well. So, he told me to write a poem about the moon.

I said, “Dad, why don’t you try to write a poem about the moon?”

Dad paused, then in that big, booming voice that masqueraded seriousness,  and hid well his uncertainty and urge to laugh, paused, stretched his hand in the direction of the moon and replied,

“MOON, MOON, MOON, MOON”

Then he paused again, as though he was thinking of his next line. Then he said,

“YOU SIT SO SOON, SOON, SOON, SOON.”

Recently we had an incredible moon surrounded by a perfect circle. This photo fails to capture how fantastic that moon was. My photo kind of makes it resemble a fried egg, and doesn’t show the red and yellow rings that surrounded that particular moon.

The photo reminds me of the night that Dad made this poem. Both fail to capture the true magnificence of the moment.

 

No comments: