clicksor

Friday, January 17, 2014

200 Words: A Changed Man

By Mona Sabalones Gonzalez

He likes to visit without making appointments, and he complains all afternoon. He talks about how he is smarter than anybody, discourses on political issues and growls and shouts if you disagree with him. He drinks your beer and he smokes your cigarettes, even if you know very well that his are in his pocket. My husband and I don’t mind. We don’t smoke or drink, but we keep a stock for him.

I could never understand how my friend could be so patient with him, but she loves him. He has never held a job, but she’s content that she earns enough with her salary as a psychiatrist to keep him and their two children above water.

“Women are supposed to be liberated, but it seems the liberation stops when it comes to the wallet,” she told me. I once visited and was amazed at how different he is at home. He cleans up, looks after her with great affection, and is terrific with the kids.


I asked her why he changes at home. She winked at me and said, “I put my medications in his pancake”.

No comments: