clicksor

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Jurong Bird Park, Singapore


By Mona Sabalones Gonzalez

Because of all my bird blogging friends, I was very much determined to visit Jurong Bird Park in Singapore. I don’t have the bird expertise of most of the bird blogs I follow, but going to the largest walk-in aviary with 1,500 varieties of birds, I felt, might give me a taste of what they enjoy every day.


You can see me here getting some bird love. The Jurong Bird Park has a metro rail of sorts that's elevated, so you feel you are on the same level as the birds, and looking down, you get a view of things in the same way that they see it.

There are stops along the way, and you can walk trails, then get back on the metro rail until the next stop. I made it a point to get down on every stop.

Here, you see a lot of lorries. You can feed them, and they all congregate on you. The feeling of tiny bird feet on the arms and face is like a soft touch massage.



The birds are affectionate to people, but can be competitive for the food.  We would see lorries push each other aside so they could get some food. It was kind of neat. 

 On the day we visited Jurong Bird Park, it was raining. We were worried that it would affect our trip, but were pleased to see that many others went to the park, too. We took the MRT and a bus, rather than took a tourist group. Ed and I like traveling on our own, much as possible.
 During the walking trails, you cross a lot of bridges. Above is a wooden bridge, and below is the cable bridge. The whole idea is for you to experience life from the perspective of the bird, so things are always elevated.

The whole idea of the bird park is to promote ecology and to have a concern for the maintenance of forests and animals, and in particular, the beautiful birds. Here is a display of tools and weapons that were used to destroy our lovely forests and trees.
 We were on ground level when we saw the water birds, and I was totally taken by these beautiful orange pelicans. Er, I think they are pelicans. Am I right? Bird blogger friends, help please:)  We also got to see penguins. I couldn't photograph them because my camera was battery challenged, but they were totally lovable. We also noticed that a lot of couples (ehem) find it very nice and romantic to visit the bird park. Love is truly for the birds:)

 When we went to Singapore (last November) they were celebrating the Deepavali festival. It was a lovely experience to see greetings such as this in the bird park, and all throughout Singapore. We loved Little India, which of course, is where Deepavali emanates from. Right now, everything in Singapore is filled with Christmas decorations. My daughter is there now, visiting her best friend. We love the multicultural quality of Singapore.
This is the souvenir store. I bought one of the red hats on the right, as it was raining. Nice hat.

Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments:

Rubie said...

What a lovely trip.....we love birds in this household too. I think your orange pelicans are actually pink flamingos ........ but they do look orangey!

Tail Wuggles, Rubie and her mum

Finn said...

Wow, that is an amazing park! I love all of your pictures!

Priscilla said...

I've been there. Those birds are amazingly beautiful!

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

What a beautiful place to visit! Thanks for sharing - it is so nice.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Frankie Furter said...

THIS was an ASTOUNDING Post!! Gorgeous and very very interesting!!!
THANK YOU.

Sagira said...

Birds are very pretty but they kind of scare me just because I haven't been around them a lot and don't really understand their behaviors, etc.

Belle said...

I love the birds, they are so colorful. What a nice place to visit! I have heard Singapore is wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

scotsmad said...

Your pelicans are flamingoes...all those birds are beautiful. We'd love to chase them...SHE'd like to feed them.

XXXOOO Daisy, kendra, Bella & Roxy

bbes tribe said...

How beautiful. What a great place to visit and the birds as so colorful!! Thans for sharing your trip there with us.
Wags
Ernie,Sasha,Chica,Lucas