clicksor

Monday, September 26, 2011

Kate Middleton, Bird Game Hunting, and Chinese Dog Eating Festival


By Mona Sabalones Gonzalez

 

How can a dog lover eat meat? And yet I just can’t live without my lechon and liempo (pork in the Philippines). Animals after all are meat eaters, too.

It helps that I get my meat in a supermarket. For the life of me, I could never bear to kill an animal myself (unless it’s a cockroach and I take great pleasure in that).

Now the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have called upon Kate Middleton to ask her husband Prince William to stop bird hunting. This, of course, is a centuries old tradition among the British royals.





We wonder why they would go to Kate, however. Why not go straight to the Prince?


PETA was incensed to learn that Prince William purchased 250 ducks, partridges and pheasants for his brother’s 27th birthday, which will be released into the Sandringham Estate of the Queen so that guests can hunt them.

I once saw a video of a bird on YouTube that was shot as game and it was just heartbreaking.




Chinese dog eating festival banned

Perhaps, it would be more effective for PETA to set loose the power of social media. That is what happened in the case of China, which has had a 600 year dog eating tradition where 15,000 dogs are killed annually to mark a 14th century military victory of the Ming dynasty.

The Chinese legend says that a Chinese general killed all the dogs in Qianzi just before a battle to stop them from barking and in this way, warning the enemy. The strategy was effective and to celebrate, every slaughtered dog was eaten.




Dog meat in China is considered to have medicinal value, and during the cultural revolution of Mao Zedong, keeping dogs as pets was illegal.

Thanks to social media, photos of the dog eating festival were released and it sparked outrage and hefty debate, and the practice of the festival, which was slated for October, was banned this year. Talk about people power:)

Now, if PETA started to use social media to spark public outrage over bird hunting, perhaps they could get similar results.


Enhanced by Zemanta

11 comments:

Amber DaWeenie said...

Apparently the Chinese have never learned that a canine companion is a lot better than a human companion in so many ways. Glad that festival was banned this year and let's all hope it's been permanently buried. Same for the birds....All animals and sea creatures can feel pain no matter how insignificant they are....maybe even cockroaches (not that I would want any of those living in my house)!

Sugar the Golden Retriever said...

Woof! Woof! Oh my ... we are glad the festival was cancelled. can't imaging how can it be medicinal ... as a whole it is just not right. Golden Thanks for sharing this. Lots of Godlen Woofs, Sugar

Remington said...

Very interesting....

Finn said...

I wonder what Kate will say in response to the request! Interesting post!

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

Interesting information. Thank you for sharing. :)

BeadedTail said...

We just heard about the festival the other day and it makes our stomachs churn. We can't imagine killing any animal especially not a companion animal. It's just horrible. We're glad for more awareness and hopefully less killing from here on out!

Maggie Mae said...

Mom and me were very happy to hear dat the festival was cancelled. Hopefully it is gone furever.

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Debora said...

I'm not opposed to hunting, as I do eat some kinds of meat. That said, I could never kill an animal. A good friend who hunts once described shooting an elk that ran away after being shot. She found the poor animal standing up but dead, wedged between two trees. She thought the story was comical...I was heartbroken.

Belle said...

I used to be a vegetarian but my husband got sick of that and I started cooking meat again and eating it. If I had to kill an animal to eat it I couldn't and I wish no one in the world ate meat. It does cause animals pain.

Bob Bushell said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Monaco said...

Oh I love hunting birds, but of course I never want to shot them, that would be horrible so I couldnt run after them anymore! The Prince could learn a lot from my technic! But to be serious again, both the hunting and especially the dog eating in China makes me sick and are very gruel...