clicksor

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Lessons From The Lovebirds


By Ed Gonzalez

Love birds have common inherent traits.
1. They like to communicate with their companions--and their humans. They do tricks, play and like taking rides outside their cages. They sit on their human’s fingers or shoulders, and exercise by flapping their wings. They like to play with their toys in their cages. But don’t hug them—they don’t like it. If you must, wait until they are tired and sleepy.
Our lesson: Communication is important in marriage. Be playful and let your spouse see that you are eye candy. But give each other space when they need it, too. Adapt.

2. Lovebirds learn from everything around them, so keep nothing toxic in their cages. They are loyal to their main human but friendly to other humans too.
Our lesson: Keep the marriage interesting. Learn and grow together. Keep each other safe. And while your spouse is your priority, leave room for friends.

3. Lovebirds think and are expressive. If they don’t like something their humans will definitely know. But they are happy and content with toys in their cages. They don’t demand much attention from their humans, unlike other birds.
Our lesson: Be outspoken with your spouse, but never make it personal or hurtful. Don’t say “You’re selfish” or “You’re stupid”. Do say, “This dog is my chill pill and I need it on the sofa when I watch TV.” Negotiate and make tradeoffs.

4. Lovebirds in the wild had to be overbearing, bossy and coercive to survive. In a flock, they will question their human’s authority. Be patient but firm. The head lovebird needs to peacefully assert himself so his birds see he leads the flock. Lovebirds will understand, know their place in the flock, and be at peace.
Our Lesson: We are civilized people so we don’t need to be overbearing, but hierarchy is important in a family. I personally need to be in charge at home, but my wife has her moments and because they are rare, I give in. We give each other slack when needed. For other families, the husband may like the fact that his wife has leadership qualities and as long as they respect each other and it works for them, then that’s fine.

5. Lovebirds are intelligent and can copy house noises like kitchen appliances. They can also copy sounds of other birds. They watch intensively. Some can even be potty trained.
Our lesson: A family should laugh together every day. My wife is a clown. As a result we all (including our daughter) play crazy jokes on each other. When I am mad my wife will make me laugh and it sends the mood in another direction. When my wife is mad, what works is holding her hand or saying something sweet.

6. Lovebirds show their feelings. Their humans know when they’re happy, upset, disgusted with their humans or in a bad mood. They are honest and outspoken and sometimes need to be left alone. Keep them properly hand fed and interacting with people from the start. They are great pets.
Our lesson: Don’t play games in marriage. Be honest and genuine. My wife and I can show anger at each other because we trust each other and know that we are always on the same side no matter what. The birds know it. We should, too.



1 comment:

Mary said...

Thanks for stopping by... I remember this blog. I bookmarked it this morning so I can return. I like it.

My blog has slowed down - I rarely post anymore and never read blogs. I miss that. I guess you might say my blog is in hibernation for a while ;-)