clicksor

Monday, January 19, 2009

Hongkong Part I


When I was in grade school I lived in Hongkong for a year. At that time, there were still rickshaws in the street, and you could cruise the harbor in a boat driven with a paddle by an old woman. The Philippines was richer than Hongkong then, just imagine! We had a maid named Asi and a driver named Tong, who once ate with us at the table and slurped so much, we each quietly and discreetly went our separate ways. I loved Hongkong then, it was a fairyland for a child. the pagodas, the people sewing in the streets, the Chinese writing, the mountains.
The second time I visited Hongkong was 15 years ago. It was still under the British. We didn't do much shopping, but we took a tour and visited a friend of my husband's and went to church. We were comfortable and happy.
Last December, we went again, and it was quite cosmopolitan. The bridges, the buildings, the shopping. But I also found out why I loved Hongkong so much. The singsong quality of the language (I love words), the way they write in pictures, the way their words, when translated, seem to be part of a song.
These are some signs I took photos of in Hongkong:

Who puts a sign to say a place is for passing? It does have a lilt to it, though:)





The stores enjoy adding adjectives to their names.





Makes me wonder how different it is now from old generation vegetarians:)




I first thought they meant something else when I read "manure bucket". Then I realized it must have been fertilizer, kasi what i originally thought of is what they had spitoons for.

Fishmonger -- nice word:)

Carp, but the text font makes the word have melody.

Yes, I will, I would have even if you didn't say please.

The phrase i liked here is "Chan Clan"

A nice way to announce the entrance to a museum:)

"advice of the Antiquities Advisory Board" Can you hear the lilt? And I like the use of "Antiquities" unlike saying "Museum Advisory Board" or "Antiques"-- wait, would there be an advisory board for antiques?

"Apart from paddy", love the "P" sound, just like "Passing Place"

"old street"

"Lion Land". Did there use to be lions here?

"Reclining Fairy"

A nice way to remind us to be considerate



We saw some signs like these just left standing on some streets. I think they were political statements.

This one made me laugh.

All the above were part of a list of instructions before you enter the toilet. "Use less water" "caution: wet floor" And the rest of it is below, "No video taking or photo taking".
Nice to know there is a dispensary like this:)

Could not understand these but yes, there were some walls like this, too.

Left Lane. Remember Ling of Ally Macbeal? You had to say her name with a soft "L", soft "g". Try it with "Left Lane"

Another of those signs that we would sometimes see left on the road, sometimes propped on chairs.

2 comments:

Lana Baker said...

I would love to see all this for myself sometime-thanks for sharing your photos and wonderful, delightful, fun, sweet comments! See how quick I catch on?! Looks like you had a great time there.
Hugs!

ステファニー said...

You've been to Hong Kong before? Gosh. I wish I could visit Hong Kong one day. OwO; That one picture made me laugh, "The Happy Sex Shop" thing xDDD OH wowww. X)

I wonder how the food and the restaurants are like. :)
The pictures look pretty!