clicksor

Monday, October 6, 2008

A Moment of Serendipity



When mama was sick, I kept looking for this poem. I thought it was written by a Filipino and I always kept a copy of it because it seemed so helpful for people who had lost a loved one. I even got in touch with the guy whose father I thought had written it, but he didn't know what I was talking about.
Then I looked through my things about a week ago, and I found the poem among some of Mom's papers. It even had a spelling correction in the margin in Mom's handwriting. So I guess she liked it too, and she kept my copy of it.
But I believe in serendipity, one of those things that happen at a specific time for a specific purpose. I felt maybe Mom wanted to show it to my siblings, especially Alice and Vic.

I sent the poem to Alice in an email, and looked up the first lines from Wikipedia. That's when I realized it was even more beautiful in its original poem. So here it is:
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.

Mama had to attend a lot of functions when we were based in San Francisco. Here are a couple of photos of her:)




Oh Mama, I just can't ever get enough of you!

5 comments:

Celar said...

hi mona, I can understand you...I always tell my friends and people I know how lucky they are to still have their parents with them... I know no matter how successful we are in our lives we will still miss our parents when they are gone... I guess I temporarily lost direction when my mother died, and although I am okey now, I still feel I dont have enough will to or ambition to make it big financially, you know I used to dream of having a lot of money when mother was alive.... oh come on I know life must go on...

euthymic said...

thanks so much, maricel!!!!! i love ya, i am so lucky to have you as a blogger friend. by the way, i saw your piece in animal scene. i didn't know Peso almost died! That would have been terrible. It's so great following yours and Peso's story in the mag. I also enjoyed the shots of you guys in imbestigador. i didn't have time to read it yet, but will tonight cause i read animal scene from cover to cover, REALLY. so i got halfway through. tonight will be my Peso night. God bless!

Celar said...

thanks mona, that article was a rush.... I thought it won't make it this month, but thank God and thanks to animal scene I really owe that magazine a lot, I met a lot of friend like you through them...

I want to make it regular, I jsut submitted another article and it's all about Pissy, I hope animal scene will consider it, it's pissy's turn to act like a hero to me ... I really miss you making a comment on my blog..

Lana Baker said...

I love that poem! Your mom was a really beautiful lady!

euthymic said...

Lana, thanks so much. i have been feeling rather introspective lately....