clicksor

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Being Sabalones

One good thing about moving forward is that finally you get to the point where you don't mind looking back. That's the thing with me now, at least where my Dad is concerned. I don't mean to disrespect him by not showing up at his funeral. Because looking back, he was really in his own way a good man to many, many people. Many people love him and like him and miss him.

Like all of us, he made his mistakes. But he also did many good things, too. I think the best choice he made was just before he died, when he faced his errors and genuinely felt sad about them and accepted Jesus in his life. He is in the heaven that he deserves. Who said, it's not where you start, it's where you finish? I figure you can't go to heaven and be the same flawed person we all are here on earth. He is the best of himself that he can be now.

And I am thankful for him because he did have vision, he loved his country, he was proud of being Filipino. He had a vision for his children, too. We all got good educations, and he gave us things we never had. He was generous and liked to give. I would always see him giving coins to street people. He said when he was poor he wanted someone to give him money, and now that he had money, he wanted to share it with them, too.

Looking back is even less difficult for me now because Dad gave me my youngest sister, our bunso, Stephanie. In a very large way, she makes me happy to be Sabalones. The wonderful thing about God is that even our mistakes, God uses to be our greatest blessings. We all missed Dad when he moved on. But he provided, he kept in touch, he gave. I know he loved Steph very much, and I thank God that she is here for his other children to appreciate.

And I'm glad that she is cared for by people who love her and who love him. Heaven is a wonderful place and from up there, he looks down and I think he is smiling.

9 comments:

Celar said...

hi Mona I guess I miss blogging and miss waiting for your messages... the office server did not allow me to blog in my blog meaning I can only read it but cant work on it, I can't even check there if you have messages for me. so I can only open it when I get home and when I have time.

I always feel better whenever I read your messages for me...and I really thank you for that...

You know it's really hard when you dont have olds anymore, most especially if you're an only child. it makes me feel like no one can understand truly what I feel coz I don't have a brother or sister to share in the feeling of lost...

Thank so much for reading my articles and blog... at least a real writer is reading my work.. I will forever appreciate that mona,,

Occasional Blogger said...

My condolences for your father's passsing, Mona. He is now in a better place.

I remember his presence at am's wedding. He loved all of you in his own way.

Occasional Blogger said...

Aww sorry, if I am mistaken. I did not actually meet your dad, (I was just taking pics with George). I thought I heard someone said that he was inside the church, at Sam's wedding....

Evenstar said...

Hi Occasional Blogger! Sam here. Yes you're right, Daddy gave me away. He also gave us a spectacular 7-day Singapore honeymoon. :-).

Occasional Blogger said...

Wow Sam, that's so wonderful, and how thoughtful and generous of him. I guess fathers, imperfect as they are, want to give the best to their children.......especially to darling daughters. I should know....

Occasional Blogger said...

Wow, how thoughtful and generous of him. I guess fathers, imperfect as they are, want to give the best to their children.......especially to darling daughters. I should know.........

euthymic said...

Harroo, hermana y amigas, don't forget there is always FACEBOOK ha ha ha!

Maricel, YOU are a real writer. Please don't say we are different, in fact you get published more than i do lately. YOU are the writer and I love what you write. Again and again and again, I say that Peso's personality could only be appreciated by your many readers including me, because of what you have written about him. I am looking forward to your next piece on Pissy.

Sam, you took good care of Dad. You stood by him. I am proud of both you and Vic. Vic does things silently, he always gave Dad money when asked, paid Dad's bills, never told anyone when he visited dad. i just knew cause he went with Ed. He was a secret saint, Dad's invisible angel. You were the trumpeter, the sounding call on Dad's behalf. you both played great roles in his life. Vic supported you and was silent in his support. I love the roles you both played.

Malu, we gotta have coffee girl! When you comin back to town?

Monisima

Occasional Blogger said...

Next week, my sis from Iloilo will be visiting my mom at Mandaluyong and we'll have a sort of sisters reunion :) Do you have time next week, where could we meet? My cell phone no. is 09277629409.

Lana Baker said...

Memories do mellow with time-Thank God!The good becomes even better and the bad seems less so...