clicksor

Monday, September 8, 2008

Street Children

I saw the boy to the left one night, sitting on the steps of a department store. He has so many burn marks on his face and body, so i was curious about him. but steet children pose quite a bit of a dilemma. you give some money to one, and the next time more come back again and again. they know the givers. what's more, we are encouraged to give instead to orphanages for street children, so the children will be given more incentive to leave the streets.

i once taught english to 5 such street children from the orphanage, "House of Refuge". it was one of my most heartfelt experiences. i deliberately didn't ask about their past till the last day, as i didn't want to see them as anything other than simply children. but these children loved to be made a fuss of, loved affection.
two of my friends did a docu on street children. one of the children said she was careful not to touch anyone because she knew they wouldn't like her touch. at any rate, this boy and his brother were very happy to have their photos taken, and they created their own poses. apparently, they live with their parents but they ask for money anyway, not very apropos but children are children.
after they posed for the shots, i let them see themselves in the camera and they were quite thrilled. then i gave them some coins without counting. the boy to the right asked why he was given less money. the boy to the left happily exclaimed, "because i have body burns!" and the joy in his voice made me laugh. children are brave, resilient and beautiful. don't you think?

5 comments:

Blue said...

What different worlds we live, your blog makes a fascinating window.

Love & best wishes to you & your family.
Blue

Blue said...

Come see see, I've an award for you to collect!

Celar said...

Mona thanks, I miss your messages for me, you might have missed my other messages for thru my blog... I mentioned there that I read all your article at the women's journal that I am communicating with a real writer, and hope you can teach me and give me tips coz I need all the help that I can get as far as writing is concern...

The TV show exposure is very short my peso was very cute there... GMA is quite slow in responsing to my request...

Mona Peso had his 3rd emergency last september 9, I thought he was going to die....but maybe God pity us and he is recuperating now....vet said his surgery is really painful but it was the last resort....I thought I will have a very very sad birthday....

please get in touch always

Lana Baker said...

It is a blessing that children can be so detatched from the more serious implications of their situations and just be in the moment and enjoy the simple things!It is refreshing since so many dwell on what they don't have instead of feeling gratitude for what they have been given!

euthymic said...

hi blue, i love the word "fascinating" in describing my blog. thanks so much:) and of course, for the award, thank you, too. i a m gonna figure out who to spread the award to na...

maricel, i have a copy of the issue where peso's operation is shown. i'm gonna read it tonight. congratulatios on another wonderful sharing of your amazing dog's life! Peso is really cute.

Lana, you hit it on the button when you said children have this amazing ability to live within the moment. God gives us so many unnoticeable gifts for survival. this living in the moment i guess is one, the other is humor, among so many other things. but you clarified for me why that incident touched me so much. i really couldn't pin my finger on it, just had this feeling inside...thanks for your articulation:)