clicksor

Saturday, August 2, 2008

You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby

That was the song I often sang to mom when she was ill. She had by then lost much of her physical faculties. She had to be moved every 2 hours, she couldn't open one hand, she couldn't talk because of the ventilator. She couldn't eat except through a PEG (not unlike the placenta). She had become a baby. But I loved her so much and many times I would sing that song to her. As you can see from this picture below, it is very likely she must have been a very beautiful baby.

When I would sing that song to her, it would occur to me that I never knew what she was like when she was born, when she was a child. In many ways Mama was an introvert. She liked staying at home, reading, playing cards, waiting for her children to come home. But because she was destined to take on the role of a diplomat's wife, she rose to the occassion and did so impeccably.

She preferred the company of close friends and relatives rather than large parties. But it was that old resiliance that she best embodies, that enabled her to rise to the occasion.

In doing so, she came across some famous people. I'm apolitical and am not much impressed by fame. But some may recognize who this couple is.

Mama's favorite role was as mother and grandmother and great-grandmother. Here she is with my daughter. She never had qualms about being called grandma. She embraced the title and loved it.



This is Ai-Chan. I told mom that when she is in heaven, she must do cartwheels with Ai-Chan for me. Ai-Chan was a beautiful baby. And I'm sure that mama must have been a beautiful baby, too.

10 comments:

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

Hi,
Your Mom was a beautiful young lady.
You are too, it's always touching reading your blog.
Thanks for leaving the kind and nice cheers on my blog.

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

Oh I forgot to tell you please come over, I have a nice surprise for you.

Blue said...

What lovely photo's of Mama!
And, I know what you mean about the song as my own mother became my baby in the end too.

Love
Blue

euthymic said...

Thanks Mango and Blue. Mango, I love the award you gave me and feel so happy about it. Blue, I know you took care of your mom. I can only imagine how difficult that must have been for you. We had nurses to help, but you did everything for your mom by yourself. You are inspiring and greatly sympathetic. Love you both!

THE ZOO said...

we saw on mangos blog that you wanted to know how to post the award on your blog. just right click on the picture and save it in your pictures on the desktop. then on a new post click on upload picture link and click on my pictures and choose it.

euthymic said...

Thank you Zoo!!!! And I'm very pleased to meet you:)

Lana Baker said...

What a beautiful lady your mom was-I'm enjoying you sharing these photos and insights. I feel like I am getting to her a little bit even though she is gone now and getting to know you. Hopefully that will be a continuing process! Maybe some day we will even get the chance to meet! We should organize a bloggers convention...
Blessings!

Madz said...

She was indeed!! Very nice story of yours... keep it up... hope we can chat more in the future...

God bless you always...

Estefania Sabalones said...

Wow...she's very beautiful. I haven't gone to meet her or seen her person but from these young pictures of her, she's beautiful:)

I wish I could have met her back then.

-Stephanie

euthymic said...

Mads, thak you so much! i love your blog, too:)

Stephanie, know what? you did meet her:) we were looking for a kitten for you, and the maid said my mom had some. so we went to her house and she met you, and we got your kitten. i remember you were very insightful. you felt sad because of the way the cat's family had been separated. and yu asked me, "did we do a bad thing?" it made a strong impression on you and i have not forgotten that. You are a very special person, and I'm proud of you!